Friends are amazing.
They hang out with you. They deal with your emotions. They teach you how to be a proper human. Well, sort of anyway. So why not celebrate them?
This year, we threw our first annual Friendsgiving! I had seen it around Pinterest and Reddit; so after we bought our house, it was the perfect time to celebrate.
What is Friendsgiving you ask? Well, it’s a lot like Thanksgiving, but filled with friends. You make the same foods you would for Thanksgiving. Sometimes, friends are better then family. Sometimes someone doesn’t have people to celebrate Thanksgiving with. This is why Friendsgiving is awesome. Don’t let the definition define the event. Make it your own. It is an imaginary holiday after all.
Here is how to throw a friendsgiving party
- Chose a date. No one will agree with this date. Accept it as a fact of life and move on. Most people who said they couldn’t go still managed to come later on.
- Decorate! This is the fun part! Write on pumpkins! Buy glitter! Make a fun photo backdrop.
Well, decorations were an afterthought for me. I just went to Michael’s one day and went “Oh yeah, I have a party tomorrow…. I should decorate” I’m sure the next few years will be more decorated.
- Delegate food. We created a facebook event and simply had everyone list off what they were going to bring. As a host, we supply the turkey, drinks, and paperware. We let everyone else fill in the blanks. We had so much food!
- Do not cook the thermometer with the turkey.
- Open up some games. We had Wii games, we had card games. Most of the time was filled with chatting and catching up.
- Photos! Be sure to take lots of photos!
At the end of the day, everyone had a great time. Every person there contributed to food. Every person had someone they could talk to even though we mixed social groups. Every person talked about doing it next year.
I’m so happy that we found a new tradition for our friends! Here is to your own Friendsgiving and our Friendsgiving 2016!